Sunday, 9 February 2020

WEEK 5 Feb. 09-15

This week we had a guest in our class via Zoom.  Dr. Redekopp was our speaker and I have read portions of his book before, but never had the opportunity to hear him speak.  I remember his content from last year in Dr. Nantais class, but I didn't act on some of his suggestions.  Specifically, I am talking about doing something with the technology that I no longer use and is just sitting in my desk drawer at home.   MTS and APPLE will buy back your old devices if they aren't too old and I've always said  "I'll recycle later".  I think it is important to actually do something about it and I have a summer "to do" list that recycling my old technology is now planned.  In the process I did some overdue purging this weekend.  Physically I went through my technology drawer.  I had old cords that I no longer need and an old fax machine, 4 iPhones and a tablet I do not want but its brand new.  I have 10 year old iPad and it still works and I don't want to replace it anytime soon if I don't have to.  I have an old laptop that is fine, I just have to clear the data and it is good to go. I was curious so I looked up some places to recycle in Manitoba.  To find out where to recycle your electronics I have included a link to look for where to recycle:







      Dr. Nantais continued our discussion on how we could teach our students about digital literacy and digital citizenship.  We designed our own games and this is something I could see myself using in the classroom.  In an elementary setting students love games and are quick to pick out the objective of a lesson if delivered in this way.  It was fun for us as adults to make games  and participate in each other's games as well.

4 comments:

  1. I was also inspired to go through my junk drawer after his talk! :) Thanks for including the link - I need to get recycling my old electronics rather than just letting my supply build up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very freeing to clean out our electronics drawers isn't it? I still have some to go but it is a start and I am excited to take care of it responsibly.

      Delete
  2. I never got the chance to see this presentation but I wish I had as I have so many old devices sitting in my home too. This will for sure be one my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will make you feel awesome once you take care of your old technology responsibly! It was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders

    ReplyDelete