I really enjoyed the Zoom presentation we had with Andrew Mead Principal of Mitchell Middle School Hanover and Kirsten Thompson of Mountain View School Division IT Coordinator.
Andrew was talking and I managed to type some notes. . .
Social media allows you to share with parents.
Important for kids to know that you are using technology properly/responsibly.
Teacher sharing makes parents aware beyond your walls and includes them.
Kirsten Thompson Coordinator of ICT
Social media in classroom Canada 23 million people using social media 90% of
Newsletters on social media
91% or going to school or other parents for digital literacy...
These were quick notes I began typing as Kirsten was talking...
Of course I drifted off into my own little world. Fear began to overcome me as I was contemplating using social media in my own classroom one day. I said I would use it. Well as I am reflecting, I want to fully understand why I want to use it and how I will use it. I want to set a good example for my students and teach them how to be responsible users. I also want to inform the parents what happens in our classroom. I know there are large numbers of tech users in Canada, but what about the parents or students that do not have access to technology? I feel the weight of my decision is not as simple as Yes I will use social media or no I won't use social media. The verdict is still out. . .
I agree that using technology needs to have a purpose and we need consider who has access to technology before incorporating it into our classroom. For example some rural communities can not get internet access and if they do it is very slow. So in these communities, I don't think technology is the best solution especially when students are required to do their homework at home.
ReplyDeleteThere are real gaps that exist in the equity of accessibility and access to tech devices that's for sure.
ReplyDelete