Saturday, 25 January 2020

WEEK 3 Jan 27-Feb 2/2020

One of our classes this week (Monday January 20/20) was online using ZOOM software.  I had mixed feeling getting started and wasn't sure what to expect.  After downloading the software and signing onto the synchronous class, I began my online journey.  I quickly saw some advantages to conducting classes this way.  I have taken asynchronous online classes before and they were ok.  This method of synchronous learning was more fun!  I could see my classmates and interact with them via a messenger platform or address the whole class by messaging.  Also we could speak to the whole class if we wanted to unmuting our microphones.   I did run into some problems as well though.  If there is any interruption in the internet connect, so will there be in your class.  Of course at some important informational moments during the lesson,  my internet connection was dropping and it frustrated me.  This process is limited by connectivity without a doubt.

On Wednesday in our classroom, we had a guest speaker Chris Fredrickson who is the Web Based Course Consultant from MB Education.
He presented on web based courses in Manitoba and what exists in Manitoba curriculum currently and what will be introduced in the future.  I see the options for students will increase and the delivery of education changed in a way to suit learning for a diverse student population.  Most importantly, no matter where a student maybe located, as long as they have an internet location they are able to learn online.  A couple of new pieces of information I learned was that MB teachers could access information through this platform and help supplement their classroom.  Especially if they find they are suddenly teaching outside of their specialization.  These guides help teachers meet curriculum outcomes and the content is written by MB teachers for MB teachers.

6 comments:

  1. Great summary! I agree with you, if the internet connection is limited or inconsistent it makes this method limited or not possible. I like your idea of using the messenger method, as it allows the teacher to monitor discussions among their students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trevor!

      I have to confess, I was at times "fooling around" and messaging instead of paying attention without the teacher knowing... Maybe he knew?

      Delete
  2. Great post! Your internet connection difficulties had me thinking about our rights to education! I feel like an online course isn't really providing equal and appropriate education to those who don't have or have limited access to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't even think about rights to education. I do think an interactive online course is better than an asynchronous one.

      Delete
  3. I also think that it is good to keep these online resources in mind when we enter the classroom. I'm curious to see where we all end up, and if some of us end up in fact teaching content that we are unfamiliar with. Hopefully these resources can help those who do!

    ReplyDelete