Monday, 24 February 2020

WEEK #8 Did I Mention I Love Zoom?


Today we had a choice for class, we could appear in person or join the class via Zoom.  I am really grateful for the opportunity to decide for myself how I wanted to attend this class.  Most days I like attending class, today I woke up super early to drive 2 hours for classes this morning.  Once I arrived in Brandon and had my first morning classes I was pretty exhausted and enjoyed the ability to be a bit more comfortable.  The chairs in class hurt my back!
Enough whining today-you can sure tell its a Monday!
The Zoom class was convenient and productive!
  As a class we explored Kialo and I found it an interesting app.  I want to explore it more in depth and see what it is all capable of as far as student and teacher use.  We participated in a question and answer exchange which was informative to hear my colleagues opinions on the pros and cons of technology in the classroom. I won't recap the discussion, but rather speak to my observations of what occurs when we have "zoomed" as a class.


I find that I have had opportunities to get to know my colleagues better and on a different level.  I feel more connected to some that I have been in-class chats or groups with and it changes the dynamics of the class.  In class sometimes you can hear "crickets" because people may not want to respond,  they don't feel they have anything to contribute or they are shy(just some guesses).  The times we have had zoom classes its fun and engaging.  I find that so strange.  We all attend class together, yet don't interact.  That maybe due to the set up in the classroom too because it is a computer lab.  I also like that there are many ways to communicate with my classmates and Dr. Nantais our Professor. 


  We can unmute our mic and speak or text our answer.  I know I can do all of the same things in class but I prefer the zoom class.  Actually I prefer a combination of both.  Also,   I don't know what it would be like to conduct a zoom class as a teacher though...  Maybe I wouldn't like it as much!
Feel free to leave a comment about your opinion of zoom class and your perspective,  I would LOVE to hear it!

8 comments:

  1. I like how you brought back the memes! I agree that Zoom seems to help people get talking, and that it could be the computer lab set up. I definitely identify with the shy category and certainly feel more open/willing to contribute behind a screen... Oops! But yeah, I think the combination of zoom/distance classes and in-person was really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like interacting in person and I like the best of both worlds. I can't say that I would think zoom was the greatest if I wasn't able to have interactions with classmates in person.

      Delete
  2. Great memes Steph. I agree that it was really tempting to Zoom in but I didn't have great internet at home. I was super jealous of those at home.

    I really appreciated your point about getting to know your classmates better. I saw them in their natural environment with the things that are important to them. Pretty cool opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting perspective Jenn, mostly because I wasn't in my personal space and staying with friends. So the space I was in wasn't mine. Ha Ha Ha, I was zooming in from a storage/utility room :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting observations, Stephanie. I do think the computer room is a hindrance - Our new 'maker space' room will be a nice addition for interaction. I wasn't able to watch the chat on Monday - in retrospect I probably missed something ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, you didn't miss anything, you were included on the discussion and I think you got the gist anyway. This is exactly what I mean, the combination of interacting with one another electronically via blogs, twitter, zoom gives us all different perspectives in general. I like sharing ideas and perspectives. In a traditional classroom setting it may not allow us to interact with each other as effectively. Something I'm definitely keeping in mind when I am planning for my students in the future.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome post! I agree with you. Getting to know everyone better has been so cool. I also found Zoom incredibly engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Trevor! I appreciate your feedback and perspective!

    ReplyDelete